SAN Network Management Systems:
- Computer Associates BrighStor SAN Manager
- Enterprise Fabric Connectivity (EFC) Manager
- EMC VisualSAN
- Hitachi Data Systems HiCommand
- HP OpenView Storage Area Manager
- MPCDATA FRAME SAN
- Sun StorEdge Enterprise Storage Manager (ESM)
- Veritas software SANPoint Control
- IBM TotalStorage SAN Volume Controller
- Onaro SANscreen SAN Service Management
- Apple Computer Xsan
- DataPlow SAN File System
There are two variations of SANs:
1. A network whose essential purpose is the transfer of data between computer systems and storage elements.
2. A storage system consisting of storage elements, storage devices, computer systems, and/or appliances, plus all control software, communicating over an ethernet network.
Definition: A SAN is a dedicated network that is separate from LANs and WANs. It is generally used to connect all the storage resources connected to various servers. It consists of a collection of SAN Hardware and SAN software; the hardware typically has high inter-connection rates between the various storage devices and the software manages, monitors and configures the SAN.
Storage Area Network (SAN) is a high-speed subnetwork of shared storage devices. A storage device is a machine that contains nothing but a disk or disks for storing data.